Though Kmart is still going I do fear that the end is in sight. My Father went to work for S.S. Kresge right out of the Navy as an Assistant Manager in 1958. He was then made a full Manager two years later. Once the K-mart store came on the scene Dad could see the handwriting on the wall and knew that his time as a Manager would soon be over. In 1987 when the last Kresge store was close Dad was given a job as a dept manager for a K-mart. When he had a College grad fresh out of school tell him that the marketing that he had been doing for the past 20 years was wrong even thou it was company policy at the time and he'd better get his act together he left and started his own business.
The decline of Kmart is a very sad chapter in the family book of memories because of all of the things I remember about the Kresge stores at which my Father worked. All of the employees always loved to see me come in because if I could help them with their jobs I would. Of course most of the time I was just in the way according to Dad, but even he loved having me there.
I remember this one young black woman who would make bows out of left over ribbon in the arts and crafts section small as it was. The machine was this metal bow maker alot like the plastic ones you can buy today but noisy as hell and would vibrate your insides out if you weren't careful.
I remember one time helping Dad stop a little shop lefter. He just had me follow her around to see what she did and he stopped her at the door and called her mom to come get her. I remember how scared she was and I felt kind of sorry for her. Dad didn't hurt her or lay a hand on her but being 5'10" and 180lbs Dad wasn't one that to many people argued with for long.
I remember that the Kresge stores had a grill and one of the cooks would always take a day old Krisby Kream doughnut cut it in half, butter it, toast it on the grill and serve it to me. To this day when I do that for myself I can still see her behind the counter cooking away for all those who were tired of shopping.
I remember one time when there were a group of College kids that were running up and down the strip mall. They were pledging for a fraternity and had to do what they were told by the manager of each store. LOL I remember Dad going out there and saying, "Alright I'm going to teach all of you a new card game. It's called 52 pickup." All of the kids would yell "YES SIR 52 PICKUP!!!!! HOW DO WE PLAY????" He said, "Well it's played like this", and has he said that he opened the deck of cards put them in between his fingers making them fly everywhere and he said, "Now you pick them up!!!" I still remember that like it was yesterday, and the laughs from all of the customers was just gold.
Yes it's hard to watch what has happened to K-mart. But like all of the other big conglomerates it has fallen to bad management and bad choices. It's like watching a family member wither and die right in front of you. I will miss K-mart but the memories of S.S.Kresge will live one. I'm just happy that both Mr. Kresge and my Dad didn't live to see this. Dad most surely would have died from a broken heart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart
No comments:
Post a Comment